Document Legalisation

Document Legalisation

Pratomigranti » Documents » Document Legalisation
Logo pagine interne
icona scelta lingua

Document Legalisation

Anyone who wishes to validate an Italian document abroad or a document originating abroad and destined for Italy or a document originating in a foreign consulate on Italian territory, must have it legalised. 

Legalising a document means to validate the signature.

Examples of documents that require legalisation: sales contracts, marriage certificate, birth certificate, death certificate etc...

Legalisation of documents in Italy is usually carried out at the Prefecture's office. 

Only documents signed by a notary, an official from the Chancellor's office or by judicial official are not legalised by the Prefecture, but by another organisation: the State's Attorney.

How do I legalise a document?

Anyone wishing to legalise a documents has two options:

  • Send the document that requires legalisation to the Prefecture by post together with a stamped addressed envelope (with which the document will be returned);
  • Go to the Multi Organisation Public Relations Office (URP Multiente) - remember to bring the residence permits of all persons on the document that requires legalisation.

Deeds and documents issued by a diplomatic representative or consulate in Italy, that require validity on Italian territory, must be submitted together with a revenue stamp for €16.

Anyone wishing to legalise a document originating abroad, destined for Italy, should instead go to the diplomatic representative or Italian consulate in the country of origin. 

Documents originating abroad, that need to be valid in Italy, must be translated into Italian. The sworn signatures of the translators must be legalised by the Italian consulate authorities. Some International Conventions render the translator's signature on certain deeds, or also on every type of document, unnecessary: 

Among these: 

  • Convention regarding the abolition of Legalisation of foreign public documents L’Aja, 05/10/1961);
  • Convention regarding the plurilingual models of birth, marriage and death certificates (Vienna, 08/09/1976);
  • Convention regarding the certificate for the legal capacity to marry (Munich, 05/09/1980)
  • Convention regarding the abolition of the Legalisation of documents in EU member states (Brussels 25/05/1987)

When is the legalisation of a document not required?

In the presence of an International Convention which so determines, legalisation of a document is not compulsory. 

Conventions in force that render the legalisation of document unnecessary are: 

  • Convention regarding the free issuance and dispensation of civil status deed legalisation (Luxembourg 26/09/1957)
  • Convention regarding the abolition of Legalisation of foreign public documents L’Aja, 05/10/1961);
  • European Convention (London 07/06/1968);
  • Convention regarding the dispensation of legalisation of certain deeds and documents (Athens, 15/09/1977)
  • Convention regarding the abolition of the Legalisation of documents in EU member states (Brussels 25/05/1987)

To check if your country of origin falls under one of these Conventions, you can consult the ITRA Data Base. This is an electronic archive of International Treaties and Conventions managed by the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

Apostille: compulsory stamp replaces legalisation

Documents that require validity in one of the countries that fall under the Convention regarding the abolition of Legalisation of foreign public documents L’Aja, 05/10/1961), must have an apostille.

The apostille replaces legalisation.

The apostille is an annotation, with a specific stamp, placed on the original document. 

Persons who come from one of the countries that fall under the Aja Convention of 5th October 1961, must go to the relevant internal authorities, designated by each participating country, to get the apostille stamp on the document. 

To check which authority, in your own country, manages the apostille stamps, go to the Aja Conference on International Private Rights website. This is an inter-governmental organisation with its head-office in Aja, which was established in 1893 and has become, in time, the centre of judicial and administrative international co-operation in the field of international private rights. 

Where to go

31.08.2016 - Hunters residing in the Central District, from the month of September can collect their hunting licenses at the PR Office from Monday to Friday, 0900-1300.
Ufficio Relazioni con il Pubblico / Public Relations Office (URP)
Piazza del Comune
, 9
 - 59100
Toll free: 800 058 850 (accessible only from a landline number)
Phone numbers: 0574 1836096
0574 1836316 (for information on immigration quotas and family reunification)
Fax0574 1837316
Office hours: Monday 09.00-13.00 and 15.00-17.00
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 09.00-13.00.

MicroCredit Helpdesk: 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month 0900 - 1200
Special Needs Helpdesk "ancH'io": Wednesday 09.00 - 13.00
Legal Orientation Helpdesk: Thursday 15.00 - 17.00 (by appointment only)

Hunting Licenses: Monday to Friday 9.00 - 13.00

 Open the map in another page

Last update: venerdì 09 ottobre 2020
- Inizio della pagina -
Il progetto Pratomigranti è sviluppato con il CMS ISWEB® di Internet Soluzioni Srl