What is SPRAR?
The SPRAR project (Protection System for Refugees and Asylum Seekers) is financed by the Ministry for the Interior through the National Fund for Asylum Policy and Services. Its aim is to support and protect asylum seekers, refugees and immgrants who fall under other forms of humanitarian protection.
Prato Comune is a forerunner in this project and together with Vaiano, Carmignano, Poggio a Caiano, Montemurlo, Bagno a Ripoli (Fi) and S. Casciano Val di Pesa (Fi) forms a network that can offer support to a maximum number of 50 people.
Applications for support often exceed the number of places available. For this reason, there is a waiting list.
If the waiting period for admission to the project is too long, it is possible for the applicant to be referred to the national network. In such a way, the Central SPRAR Service can see about finding the first place available from all national waiting lists and will cover the cost of transferring the applicant accordingly.
Services provided by SPRAR
The SPRAR Project deals with the initial care, integration and protection of the person in question.
The Care Services comprise of:
- accommodation in a small house;
- supply of food vouchers for board;
- orientation in relation to local services;
- support of a linguistic mediator;
- assistance in procedures to access social, health and educational services (L2 Italian language courses for adults, enrolment in school for minors).
The Integration Sevices comprise of:
- orientation in relation to employment;
- enrolment in training courses;
- professional re-training;
- support in looking for a job and a home.
The legal protection services support the benficiary in procedures relating to the application for international protection. At the same time, psycho-social protection services help with access to specialist social services and psychological/psychiartic support.
Where is the SPRAR office?
The SPRAR helpdesk in Prato is to be found at the Immigration and Citizenshp Services office.